By participating in the Town of Boone’s Adopt-A-Street program, you can make a valuable contribution to the town. By adopting a street, you can help . By participating in the Adopt-a-Street program, not only are you saving money, you are also making the Town of Boone a better and more beautiful place! The Town of Boone Public Works Department alone spends $20,000 annually to clean streets.
To adopt a street, your group or business agrees to pick up litter for a year along a section of street or road. In return, the department will also make some commitments.
To make sure everyone has a clear understanding of the program, guidelines and responsibilities are listed below. Please remember that a public street can be dangerous if proper safety precautions are not followed. Safety is our first consideration and it must be yours as well. We will work with participants to do all we can to make your experience safe and beneficial.
- Your organization chooses an Adopt-A-Street coordinator, who must be at least 21 years of age.
- Youth groups must have parental permission. No one under the age of 12 is allowed to participate in the program and young children should not accompany teenagers or adults to the street.
- Everyone in your organization who picks up litter must read the North Carolina Department of Transportation’s “Safety Rules and Guidelines for Volunteers”. Please pay particular attention to the safety requirements
- Litter should be picked up at least three times a year. You are encouraged to clean your street more often if needed. We hope two of your clean-ups will take place in April and September. This is when the department’s spring and fall clean-up campaigns are held.
- Your organization is encouraged to assist in obtaining media coverage.
- Whenever possible, recycling is urged.
Town of Boone’s Responsibilities
- The Town of Boone will provide large garbage bags, gloves, and orange safety vests that all participants will be required to wear.
- The Town of Boone will approve sections of streets to be included in the program, based on traffic volumes, speeds and number of intersections.
- A road sign with your group’s name will be posted by the Town of Boone to mark your adopted section of street.
- Filled trash bags will be collected and disposed of by the Town of Boone if notified ahead of time of the date and location.
- The Town of Boone will present certificates of appreciation to organizations once contractual commitments are received and at the beginning of each year of renewal.
- Be sure to carpool when you travel to your section of street. It is important to keep the number of cars at the site to a minimum and always park them clear of the roadway.
- Wear your safety vest at all times.
- Face oncoming traffic.
- Maintain a working group of six to 10 people.
- Avoid working during hours and days that are peak travel times. The Town of Boone will help identify suitable times.
- Stop work in inclement weather.
- Avoid overexertion.
- Remember to stay hydrated.
- Do not remove hazardous substances.
- Be alert for snakes.
- Avoid contact with noxious weeds and areas where herbicides have been applied.
- Do not pick up items on bridges.
- Stay clear of any construction.
- Refrain from picking up trash on the pavement or in the median. Volunteers should stay on the side of the road at least five feet from the pavement’s edge.
- Other common sense safety tips should also be followed. They include wearing light-colored clothing, heavy gloves, leather shoes or boots, as well as a hat and long sleeves.
Your participation in Adopt-A-Street is very much appreciated. The Town of Boone commends you for your interest and efforts to keep Boone clean and beautiful.
If you’re interested in participating in the Adopt-A-Street program, please Shannon Isaacs, Adoption Program Coordinator, at email@example.com or (828) 268-6231.