Occupancy Guidelines

The Boone Town Council has designated the protection of the Town’s family residential neighborhoods as a top priority. In order to preserve the family values, peace and quality of life in single-family areas, the Town has adopted controls on the number of unrelated people that may live in residential units. Single-family areas require the highest level of protection; as a result no more than two unrelated persons might live in a dwelling unit in a single-family neighborhood. This includes properties zoned R-1, R-1A, RR, R-2 and R-4. Other zoning districts permit more than two unrelated people as detailed in Section 27 of the Unified Development Ordinance (UDO).

If an individual feels the occupancy of a dwelling is inconsistent with the provisions of the code a complaint may be filed with the Planning & Inspections Department. When filing this complaint certain information will be requested such as address of the dwelling, number people believed to be living at the house, number of vehicles regularly at the location and the name and address of the individual making the complaint. The Planning & Inspections Department investigates all written complaints of occupancy violations and solicits voluntary compliance when violations are confirmed. If voluntary compliance does not occur, vigorous enforcement action is taken. When the case is resolved the person making the complaint is advised of the outcome.

Neighborhood Conservation Districts

The Boone Town Council has also created Neighborhood Conservation Districts in the interest of protecting and promoting the public health, safety and welfare of citizens living in single-family neighborhoods. Within Neighborhood Conservation Districts, all tenants of rental property are required to file a Residential Parking Registration Form and obtain a parking sticker for their vehicles. If an owner of rental property lives more than fifty (50) miles from Boone, then a local managing agent residing in Watauga County must be designated to handle all matters concerning the rental property. Owners or the local managing agents are required to notify tenants of applicable Neighborhood Conservation District requirements.

More information regarding Neighborhood Conservation Districts can be found in Article 14 and Section 14.09 of the Unified Development Ordinance(UDO).

To locate Neighborhood Conservation Districts, please view the NCD Map. (PDF-642kb)

The Planning & Inspections Department will assist any potential owner or renter with any questions regarding occupancy regulations. Any person considering buying, leasing, or renting a dwelling unit in the Town of Boone Corporate Limits or Extra-Territorial Jurisdiction is strongly encouraged to contact the Occupancy Administrator at the Town of Boone Planning & Inspections Department.

The Occupancy Administrator will assist in identifying the zoning of the parcel and the regulations regarding permitted occupancy in the dwelling. The Occupancy Administrator may be reached at telephone number (828) 268-6960 or by coming to the Planning & Inspections Department.

Federal Housing Administration:

The Federal Housing Administration (FHA) is part of the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development. We provide mortgage insurance on loans made by FHA-approved lenders. We insure mortgages on single family homes, multifamily properties, residential care facilities, and hospitals throughout the United States and its territories.

The form is in PDF format. Adobe Acrobat Reader is required. If you do not have Acrobat, click here to download a free copy.