Planning and Inspections
The Planning and Inspections Department administers and enforces the Town of Boone Unified Development Ordinance
(UDO). The UDO is an ordinance regulating and controlling the development of land and matters relating thereto within
the Town of Boone to promote and protect the health, safety and general welfare of the community, and is crafted to
result in a built environment that meets the goals of the Town of Boone Comprehensive Plan.
You may download a complete copy of the UDO below. Please note that this is a large file.
- Unified Development Ordinance (last updated on October 15, 2018)
Please click on any of the following to download the UDO by Article.
- Table of Contents
- Article 1 General Provisions
- Article 2 Administrative Mechanisms
- Article 3 Reserved
- Article 4 Permits
- Article 5 Subdivisions
- Article 6 Board of Adjustment Hearings
- Article 7 Nonconformities
- Article 8 Historic Preservation
- Article 9 Amendments
- Article 10 Reserved
- Article 11 Reserved
- Article 12 Enforcement
- Article 13 Reserved
- Article 14 Zoning Districts and Zoning Map
- Article 15 District Use Requirements
- Article 16 District Standards
- Article 17 Wellness District Standards
- Article 18 Central Business District Standards
- Article 19 Grading
- Article 20 Soil Erosion and Sediment Control
- Article 21 Stormwater Management
- Article 22 Utilities
- Article 23 Driveways, Streets, and Sidewalks
- Article 24 Parking
- Article 25 Community Appearance Standards
- Article 26 Signs
- Article 27 Residential Occupancy Controls
- Article 28 Reserved
- Article 29 Watershed Protection
- Article 30 Flood Damage Prevention
- Article 31 Landscape Standards
- Article 34 Definitions
- Appendix A Application Information
- Appendix B Guide for Landscaping
The UDO is amended from time to time. Below is a list of those amendments
recently approved by the Town Council. We
highly recommended that you print out new chapters in their entirety.
|Date Approved||Case Number||Description||Articles Amended|
Amend UDO Articles 15 and 34 for the creation of Use 9.07 College or University- Operated Community Enterprise with
supplemental regulations. Amendment may also be made to other Articles to conform them to changes made in these
Amend UDO Article 15, Section 15.11 to require multi-family in mixed use developments to follow the same bedroom/unit
requirements as set forth in UDO Section 15.10 and to make revisions as to when parking can be counted as part of the
required commercial area.
How can I request an amendment to the UDO?
Text amendments to the UDO may be initiated by submitting a complete application and associated fee to the
Below is a brief summary of the process.
- Submit complete application with proposed text and pay associated fee to the Planning and Inspections
- Planning and Inspections Staff will forward request to Town Council and the next regularly scheduled
- Town Council reviews the proposed text and, if the request is approved, will send the case to be heard
at a future
- A public hearing before the Planning Commission and the Town Council is held.
- Subsequent to the Public Hearing, the Planning Commission meets to make recommendations on the case.
- The Planning Commission’s recommendations are then forwarded to the next scheduled Town Council. Council
is the final
approval authority for all UDO text amendments.
The overall time frame to complete the process may depend on the complexity of the proposed amendment.