Planning & Inspections
UPDATED 6/25/2020 9:00 p.m.
Due to health concerns associated with the coronavirus (COVID-19) and efforts to limit possible transmission, the Planning and Inspections office is temporarily closed to the public. Though our office is closed to customers, the Department remains in operation at a reduced capacity as follows:
Hours of Operation
- Monday-Friday; 8 am – 5 pm
Temporary Outdoor Dining Resources
- Forms. Application forms may be accessed online (on this page) or you can call our main line (828-268-6960) and ask that we either mail or email you a copy of the form.
- Submittals. Applicants can submit applications by mail (see mailing address below), by email at email@example.com or by dropping off all paperwork (except payment) in the Downtown Post Office lobby at 680 West King Street, Boone, NC 28607. See Instructions for Drop Off below.
- Instructions For Drop Off. A drop off box for plans and a separate drop-off window for application paperwork will be available to the right side (as you face the teller window) of the Post Office lobby. Look for signs and directions. We ask that plans or paperwork only be dropped off between the hours of 8 am-4 pm, Monday-Friday. Please press doorbell located on the drop box to notify Staff that paperwork has been submitted. Please note doorbell is for notification only.
- Please do not submit payments through the drop-off in the Post Office lobby. All applications processed during this time will be invoiced and should be paid prior to the issuance of the permit or the final inspection (depending on the permit). See more information on payments below.
Payments. For security purposes, all payments should be mailed in (see mailing address below) or dropped off at the secure drop-of box on the side of Town Hall (567 West King Street). This drop-off box is located at the side of the building near the front. Please be sure to mark all payments with your permit number or project name. Payment shall be due prior to the end of the project – contact your Project Manager for more details.
Inspections. We ask that all property owners and contractors notify our Staff if anyone on site has an illness in order for special arrangements to be made for the requested inspection. For Inspection/Site Visit protocol please use the link below:
Development Related Meetings. Any meeting with applicants will be scheduled as a teleconference through the Planning and Inspections project manager for the case. Please call (828) 268-6960 for more information.
Board Meetings and Public Hearings. All April 2020 Board Meetings and Public Hearings for the Board of Adjustment, Community Appearance Commission, Historic Preservation Commission, Planning Commission, and the Sustainability Committee as well as the May 7, 2020 Board of Adjustment meeting have been canceled. Sometime in late April, we will provide an update concerning ongoing cancellations or rescheduling of meetings.
All Other Business. While the Planning and Inspections Department expects to continue to review plans, issue permits and handle all other business as normal, please expect there to be delays during this time period.
Mailing Address. Town of Boone Planning and Inspections Department, 680 West King Street, Suite C, Boone, North Carolina 28607
We thank you in advance for your patience and understanding.
BUILDING PERMIT RELATED APPLICATION & FORMS
ZONING PERMIT RELATED APPLICATIONS & FORMS
BOARD OF ADJUSTMENT APPLICATIONS
ZONING MAP AMENDMENT APPLICATIONS
Permit Application ReportWeek of October 5th Week of September 28th Week of September 21st Week of September 14th
Ordinances, Plans & StudiesUnified Development Ordinances 2006 Comprehensive Plan Update, Revised July 19, 2018 (PDF – 800kb) Urban Forestry Management Plan (PDF – 1.51MB) Urban Forestry Management Plan Appendices (PDF – 8.21MB) West Downtown Alive Plan (PDF – 967 kb) Wellness District Small Area Plan-August 2015 (PDF – 3419 KB) 2007 Smart Growth Audit (PDF – 3.5MB) Draft Housing Analysis (PDF – 923kb) Housing Analysis Final Presentation (PDF – 1.73MB) Bike & Pedestrian Plan Watauga County Comprehensive Transportation Plan High Country Regional Hazard Mitigation Plan Middle Fork Greenway Master Plan (Section 6 adopted by Boone Town Council on March 19, 2015) b. well Section Plan of the Middle Fork Greenway
Zoning Map & OverlaysZoning Map (PDF – 2.7MB) Viewshed Protection Map (PDF – 1.8MB) Interactive Zoning Map
Additional Development Resources2019-2020 Meeting Schedule (PDF-118 kb) Board of Adjustment Rules of Procedure (PDF – 325kb) Roadway & Sidewalk Program Handbook (PDF – 777kb) Steep Slope Regulations Brochure (PDF – 2MB)
Helpful linksWatch for Me NC High Country Home Builders Association The League of American Bicyclists Federal Emergency Management Association National Environmental Policy Act North Carolina Permitting Personnel Association
The form is in PDF format. Adobe Acrobat Reader is required. If you do not have Acrobat, click here to download a free copy.