Unified Development Ordinance
The Planning and Inspections Department administers and enforces the Town of Boone Unified Development Ordinance (UDO). The UDO is an ordinance regulating and controlling the development of land and matters relating thereto within the Town of Boone to promote and protect the health, safety, and general welfare of the community, and is crafted to result in a built environment that meets the goals of the Town of Boone Comprehensive Plan.
Request an Amendment to the UDO
Text amendments to the UDO may be initiated by submitting a complete application and the associated fee to the Planning and Inspections Department.
The following is a brief summary of the process:
- Submit a complete application with the proposed text and pay the associated fee to the Planning and Inspections Department.
- Planning and Inspections Staff will forward the request to Town Council at the next regularly scheduled Town Council meeting.
- Town Council reviews the proposed text and, if the request is approved, sends the case to be heard at a future public hearing.
- A public hearing before the Planning Commission and the Town Council is held.
- Subsequent to the Public Hearing, the Planning Commission meets to make recommendations on the case.
- The Planning Commission's recommendations are then forwarded to the next regularly scheduled Town Council meeting. Town Council is the final approval authority for all UDO text amendments.
The overall time frame to complete the process may depend on the complexity of the proposed amendment.
Visit the Town Council/Planning Commission Public Hearing page to learn more about upcoming changes.
You may download the UDO in its entirety in the section below, Current UDO and Previous UDO Archive.
- Article 1 General Provisions
- Article 2 Administrative Mechanisms
- Article 4 Development Approvals
- Article 5 Subdivisions
- Article 6 Quasi-Judicial Hearings
- Article 7 Nonconformities
- Article 8 Historic Preservation Procedures
- Article 9 Amendments
- Article 12 Enforcement
- Article 14 Zoning District Regulations
- Article 15 Limited Use Requirements
- Article 19 Grading
- Article 20 Soil Erosion and Sediment Control
- Article 21 Stormwater Management
- Article 22 Utilities
- Article 23 Driveways, Streets and Sidewalks
- Article 24 Parking
- Article 25 Community Appearance Standards
- Article 26 Signs
- Article 29 Watershed Protection
- Article 30 Flood Damage Prevention
- Article 31 Landscape Standards
- Article 34 Definitions
- Appendix A Application Information
- Appendix B Comparative Tables
- Appendix C Details and Specifications Manual
- Appendix D Downtown Boone Design Guidelines and Handbook